Tuesday 7 August 2012

Poacher's Choice.

For a blog titled "Om-nom-nomnivore" there are very few food related posts on here, so here goes, a wild foray into the world of critical food and drink analysis from a student with no past experience in the field.

Right now I am sitting, at my desk again as a result of copious amounts of work which I am required to slave my way through in order to pass my course. I would say I'm enjoying a nice bottle of ale, but I'm not sure whether I am or not. Lets say it possesses an "interesting" flavour. 

The bottle neck reads "Damson and Liquorice" and, due to my deep seated hate for anything liquorice flavoured I was highly sceptical of trying this beer. The poor thing sat in the fridge until my only other evening drinking options were milk or water... I am however, slightly surprised! I can not taste a single drop of liquorice on the tongue or smell it anywhere in my nasal scent receptors! Instead I pick up more of a liquid fig roll flavour mixed in with a dark, full bodied ruby ale. It's quite nice! But a little sweet for my liking so it's taking me a while to soldier through. The flavour was surprising enough to spur on my little review of the ale, which is more than I can say for the other ales that I have drank throughout my life. Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that whenever I take a sip of a fantastic little brew my taste-buds make a little jump in my mouth and I'm too preoccupied with the drinking to spend time typing about it on the internet in a blog that next to nobody reads.

Overall I would recommend the beer to anyone who hasn't quite found their taste in ales and wants a nice easy to drink, sweet tipple to start them off in the world which awaits. A highly interesting flavour where the first sip makes you go "Wow, that's different." 8/10, would drink again. (Though probably more likely on a hot summers day as opposed to a cold wet evening).


In other news, I now own Lycra cycle shorts... As my dad said, "It's all downhill from here."


Alex - http://om-nom-nomnivore.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment