Monday 27 July 2009

Been a while

Been a while since my previous post, 3 months and 10 days too long to be precise. Not really done much since then to be honest with you, took some time off (where I didn't do a lot because I tripped in a rabbit hole and damaged my ligaments in my ankle) before coming home from university and started a summer job in the local college as a research student which I am a few weeks into by now. My project involves playing with batteries and generally messing around with electronics, although I do spend a lot of time on the internet "researching" (facebook and other hacking websites to be precise).

The project which I have been set involves playing with batteries, as previously mentioned. To elaborate on this I have to design a system which someone can connect batteries to to read the charge/discharge curves (voltage against time) and compare them with a brand new battery to see if they are recyclable after a few years usage or whether they are basically dead to the world and no use can be found for them. The batteries which I am looking at are the batteries from safety lights; the ones that turn on when power to the mains lights goes off. By law these need to be changed every 5 years in a publicly used building and cost a fortune to replace. Sadly this cant be overcome, but if I can find a way to recycle them then they will save money elsewhere by not discarding the batteries.

So yeah, basically what I've been doing over the past few months, more news on the project and pictures to follow when i update.

No comments:

Post a Comment